Saturday, January 31, 2015

Classroom Store Ideas

I am trying to set up a classroom store for my second graders.  During the sumdog competition, I noticed that they were really struggling with coins and money values.  I think the perfect solution to this is to have them work with money in a classroom store.  I ordered a cash register with fake money this morning, but now I have to figure out what I'm going to "sell" in the store, and how I'm going to communicate the cost of those things.

1) I could get a drawer organizer and label each drawer with a different price.  E.g. - everything in the top drawer is 5 cents, everything in the middle drawer is 10 cents, etc.

2) I could put the items into groups on the table and put placecards with their price by the piles.  This is not so good an idea as I could see the items going everywhere and creating a huge mess, plus, if the item is removed from the pile it may be difficult for the students to remember their cost.

3) I could get price tags and individually label everything.  This sounds like it would be expensive and take a lot of time.  Plus the mess afterward of the students taking all the little labels off would probably leave me feeling depressed.

I am spending so much money on my students just to get them to learn how to deal with money!  Ironic?  I think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment