Thursday, January 9, 2014

"Picky" Eaters

I am starting to realize that while most kids are picky, Emma is of a very special kind.  I hear moms complain about how their kids don't eat healthy, yet when asked what they do eat, they spout a long list of things Emma would not touch with a 10 foot pole.  She doesn't eat vegetables.  No fruit.  Come on, not even fruit?!  I am serious.  She will not touch fruit.  She eats chips and cheese (nachos), Annie's cheddar bunnies, "bubble slushies" (which is just a lemon slushy I make in the Vitamix), Flinstone vitamins, and Chik Fil A.  She also likes grilled cheese sandwiches.  Basically, anything with cheese she will eat, and fruit-flavored candies and treats.  Not the picture of health, I know.  I buy her Pediasure from time to time, but those things are expensive!  $10 for a 6-pack?!  I just don't know what to do.
Some people say just wait, that if she's hungry enough she will eat anything.  To those people I say that I have tried.  It caused my baby girl to be a 38% on the weight scale to a 12% after I weaned her off breast milk.  It's not like I just started feeding her junk, I eat healthy and I wanted her to eat healthy.  She just wouldn't have it.  It was after this that the doctor put her on Pediasure, because that was truly scary.
Now, my focus is getting calories in her.  I hate that she only eats junk, but it's better than starving!

I have heard that you have to keep offering kids the food, and that eventually they will accept it.  I do this.  I offer her good food all the time... At four years old we are already getting into arguments about healthy food vs. unhealthy food.  She tells me, "Healthy food isn't good for me.  It makes me sick."  I try to tell her that healthy food will keep her from getting sick.  She tells me, "It's not nice."  She then points to whatever junk food it is that she is asking for at the time, telling me, "That's nice."

This fundamental association with junk food being "nice" and healthy food being "not nice" really scares me.  As any healthy person knows, being healthy is nice.  It is nice to treat my body and it is nice to feel and look nice.  When I eat healthy, I feel like I am treating myself and my body.  It makes me happy.  I always feel really sad and depressed after eating junk.  I just don't get it.

I hope this is something that she grows out of.  Lizzie eats fruits all the time.  Vegetables not so much, but if I can mask it with fruit she will eat it.  Lizzie I am not so worried about, she eats a wide variety of things.  They both, though, have major sweet tooths that need to be curbed.  I know that most people have a sweet tooth, but we need to start learning how to satisfy it with fruits and other healthy options before grabbing cake and candy.

I am hoping that she grows out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment