I just read a blog post about a woman lamenting over her desire to minister in the church yet being denied that right because she is a woman. She was writing a book about it, which her author really liked. Lifeway, however, demanded that they remove that section or they would not carry the book (are they really so surprised?). You can read what she wrote here. I left a very well thought out comment that echoes some of my thoughts that have been developing over the past few years. I wanted to preserve it here.
Unfortunately, the Bible echoes the anti-women in leadership message that Lifeway is upholding. This is why I take everything I read with a grain of salt. As far as the first commenter, Jason, I am sorry that people have said that you are not "good enough" for ministry. If you look at many churches today they are trying to be as culturally "relevant" as possible - which from what I've seen means only the beautiful people, or the well-dressed can lead. Everyone else would be bad for their "image."
There are some very anti-women issues I have with the Bible that women in the church just accept because they feel it is their burden to carry, that it somehow makes them holier. It does not, it just makes you silent. Do we forget that the Bible was written by men? "All scripture is God-breathed..." yeah, I can quote the verse. Then, how do you justify, "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety." 1 Timothy 2:11-15. Notice in the beginning of verse 12, Paul says, "I do not permit..." Not God does not permit. Since when did Paul give himself that kind of authority?
Sounds like circular reasoning to me. We say women can't teach because the Bible says so, and Paul validates this theory with the Bible..... Personally, I'm not a fan of Paul. Yes, he did great things for Christ, but he was a bit full of himself for doing so. Oh, I personally won't get married because I want to devote all of my time and energies to the Gospel (fine), but if you are weak enough to give into the carnal flesh, then you can get married (which conflicts with Genesis 9:7 where God commands Noah and his family to, "Be fruitful and multiply"). The very argument many people have for being anti-gay (it doesn't produce children!) Paul was preaching. What if we all took Paul's example? There would be no more Christians after one generation! Thanks, Paul!
As you can see, I have a number of problems with the Bible. I have thought about it for some time, so please, unless you have done the same you should think before you comment. We can blindly believe that all Scripture is God-breathed, that the Holy Spirit came over each of the many writers that form our canon and believe that, that is fine. You can believe anything you want. When you actually think about it, though, the writing of the Bible spanned many thousands of years, and who developed our Canon today? Men. Why were certain things thrown out and others included? When you look at the history of the Bible, it has been man that has largely written and influenced the final copy that we have today. Never mind everything that has been lost in translation... All I'm saying is that the Christian church is based on the Bible as the Word of God, but we have to take this with a grain of salt. Also, as heartbreaking as it is that some are denied ministry for ridiculous reasons, this sentiment towards women is backed up with the Bible and if you are going to call yourself a Christian and are a woman, you might as well sit down, shut up, and place a sheet over your head. After all, according to the Bible, that is your duty. Oh yeah, if you have children, your existence can be sanctified.
In the end, man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart. This is something I can agree with and what I believe is the essence of all ministry. If you are careful to preserve your heart, even in the face of such hypocrisy, if you are able to love others as you love yourself, no matter what injustices they may do to you, then you will be like Christ. This is true ministry and something we must all strive for every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment