Wednesday, November 16, 2011

"Dinglehopper"


            In Disney’s version of The Little Mermaid,            Ariel marvels over her collection of random human objects and tools.  One particular item of interest is the fork, or “dinglehopper” as Scuttle incorrectly identifies it.  Therefore, I thought it would be cute to start calling forks “dinglehoppers” to our 2-year old see if it would catch on.  The plan backfired.  She is now convinced that forks are used for brushing hair and she takes around a fork and/or spoon with her everywhere she goes!  We made the mistake of going to a restaurant after this fascination occurred without bringing our own fork… She screamed and made quite a scene when we had to leave the restaurant without her fork!

I am writing because it has been a long time since I have written very much of anything.  I am writing because I miss it, and because it makes me happy.  I am sitting here holding my 16 week old Lizzie (who will be 17 weeks tomorrow).  Emma, Lizzie, and I went to a concert at lunch today at The Jewish Mother in downtown Norfolk.  I had never been to this particular part of downtown Norfolk before.  It had old but kept up brick buildings, streets coinciding with train tracks, and nice malls.  The golden, crispy leaves of fall mixed with marble and cement as they blew in front of our path.  Emma and I stopped over a grate that was positioned over a large drop with water at the bottom.  I showed her how I could see my reflection in the water and how she could, too.   We marveled at how it was a circle.  This was on the way back, and the whole way there she carried around that same stupid fork in her adorable, pudgy hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment