Friday, January 28, 2011

Money may not be able to bring happiness... but spending it might!

:)   I'm just a little proud of this post's title.  The point is, I reeeally want to enjoy living again, and that means a hobby, and hobby's mean money.  I would like to take up cooking.  Andy and I were talking about food in America and it is true - we just don't have enough time to cook any more.  But do I?  YES!!!  So, for my family, and myself, I would like to take up cooking.  Nothing normal, though, I want to try new and exotic dishes.  I know that Andy probably won't like it, but he'll come around to it.
I found some interesting websites -

Tastespotting.com  - I love browsing the vast array of food blogs!  They have so many amazing ideas, from exotic new dishes to the actual serving ware to cool, modern kitchen gadgets

(If I see one more recipe for something requiring peanut butter I swear I'm going to scream!)

Foodgawker.com - One and the same as taste spotting, same thing different name

     (I found this blog with a recipe for gnocchi - http://www.mygoodgravy.com/no-no-gnocchi  Must try!)

Why am I including all of these links?  Probably because I am sick of being at a loss every day for what to make for dinner. Pasta AGAIN?!!  I think not.  I just don't want to lose these links!

These food people get really into it - they make food based on all those distant, weird holidays that nobody celebrates.  (Australia Day?  I should also probably know when the Chinese New Year is...)  How fun is food?

Supercook.com - I will probably come crawling on my hands and knees to Supercook at about 5 PM with my offerings of whatever I have in my pantry, praying that someone will help me, and viola!  A recipe will appear and I will be saved.

And of course, epicurious.com, realsimple.com, and cookinglight.com... the first of which has been a favorite for sometime.  I suppose my fear of failing and fear of disappointing (it's one thing to cook for oneself... it is a totally different thing to cook for others... I feel so exposed!  Critics!)  Perhaps I should just do my thing and then wear earplugs.  I will ask for all feedback to be forwarded to my comment box and ask that people are kind and think before they critique.

Sigh... the end of a long day.  Yay for inspiration! :)

The thing with cooking is that it takes money.  Take, for instance, the black pepper grinder that I must have.  A respectable one starts at about $30 (although I'm sure if I hunted I could find one for cheaper).  There are ingredients to buy, some of which you can only buy online, and that means shipping!  I am caught in the conundrum of wanting to break out of my rut but being afraid to spend money.  I suppose it has protected me a little, and, of course, it's a byproduct of my Dad being a financial planner and investment adviser... but one question I always had was what's the point of money if you don't spend it?  I realize how foolish this may sound to the saver and I understand the time value of money... I just don't want to look back on my life and regret all the saving and not the doing... I want to make memories and I'd like to enjoy my life.  Can we afford that?

No comments:

Post a Comment