
I have taken it upon myself to discover the perfect healthy brownie. "Healthy" and "brownie" are not two words you generally hear in the same sentence. Fueled with excellent information this exceptional article from Jennifer Claerr,
I made my first "healthy" brownies yesterday. No butter. I used some of Emma's baby food instead (the fruit kind, e.g. applesauce, and apples and peaches), for the oil I did a 2:1 ratio canola oil and olive oil. I meant to use whole wheat flour but confused what was in the unlabled tupperware. Oh well, I can always do that next time. For the sugar I used 1/2 cup maple syrup and 1/2 cup plain white granulated sugar. I am looking forward to getting some sucanat (if I can find some in health-food store starved North Charleston). Sucanat is the whole sugar: none of the original vitamins and minerals have been washed out of it. It has pronounced difference in taste and texture, which is why I'm looking forward to working with it to create the perfect brownie. It supposedly has a different taste, not unlike the molasses-y taste of brown sugar, but brown sugar is simply white sugar with a little bit of molasses added. Nothing special there.
The final test - Andy liked them! I'll add the recipe I used if anyone's interested. These brownies needed a little more sugar (they were slightly bitter), and the consistency was definitely different. Kind of like a Little Debbie brownie, flat, but nonetheless tasty. And it didn't leave you feeling guilty like "good" brownies do. I would definitely recommend trying it and maybe tweaking it yourself until you find a good fit for your family.
If nothing else, I would definitely recommend reading this article by Jennifer Claerr, it is positively genius:
No comments:
Post a Comment