Sunday, March 21, 2010

Update

Andy got off work Friday night/Sat. morning with some wonderful news. They're finally buying it! Andy (finally) has proof that his pain is due to something serious, and that he's not just making it up. He has doctors telling the Navy that he has another hernia, so now they have to listen.
(Riddle me this - if you had double hernias a year ago and had surgery to get nets in them thus barring the return of any new hernias, how would you get a new hernia?)
Anyway, there is a reason the Navy has you sign a contract when you join. It is so that they can do anything to you without the threat of you suing them.

In other news,

My thought of the day... (Ok, I have more than just one). I read Vogue a lot. I have to say that I haven't enjoyed it as much recently as I did in my younger days, but I still find these nuggets of genius sprawled onto a type 8 font in some 10-page essay within its pages. This one comes from Tina Fey. Regardless of her political reputation (who cares, anyway? She doesn't - and if she doesn't care enough about politics, you darn well shouldn't care about her "position", either...) she is a smart, funny woman and I like her a lot.
She says (on fashion):

"I think women dress for other women to let them know what their deal is. Because if women were only dressing for men, there would be nothing but Victoria's Secret. There would be no Dior" (2010).

This is so amazing because it is true. Being a newlywed, I know that if I wore only what my husband wanted me to wear, I would lose all credibility whatsoever. ("I little cleavage is ok... It doesn't make you a slut!" [Being that I've never had cleavage before in my life, I was a little foggy on the "rules"]) I distinctly remember dressing up for free chicken sandwich day at Chick-Fil-A. It was football season, and the deal was you had to wear your favorite team's jersey or other memorabilia to get a free sandwich. What did I end up with? I cargo mini and Cowboys jersey. "Perfect," my husband said, and we walked out the door.
I can't tell you how uncomfortable I felt or the looks from other women that I got. I suppose, then, that that quote by Tina Fey is true. Is this why the only guys who really care about or understand fashion are homosexual? Is this also why "powerful" women choose to leave fashion at the door to maintain credibility?

"When I think of the word power with the word fashion, all I can think of is that color-my least favorite color in the world-that eighties power-blue suit color that businesswomen and politicians still have to wear...These are powerful clothes."

It reminds me of another article I read a few months ago in Psychology Today by Matthew Hutson. They were studying the clothes of Michelle Obama and how they affect her political credibility. It was found that, "In a study, men and women rated Michelle, but not Barack, as less warm after evaluating the appearances of each" (2009).
In another study, "Nathan Heflick and colleagues at the University of South Florida—found that focusing on a woman's appearance lowers ratings of her competence" (2009). Why? I leave that with you; Emma wants my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment